A combination of long hours spent at a computer and having our heads bent looking down at our mobile devices can be a contributing factor to chronic neck and shoulder pain. Working a physical job and over doing it at the gym can also contribute to muscles tensing up.
Some people find stress and being too rushed leads to having sore necks. Do you suspect it's time for a new pillow? If a pillow is too flat or too high it can cause neck strain by not having proper support during our sleep hours.
Here are some HELPFUL TIPS TO RELIEVE NECK PAIN
1. ALTERNATE ICE AND HEAT. Apply a soft gel ice pack for 10 minutes. Make sure it is wrapped in a cloth to protect your skin.
Wait 1 hour before applying heat. A beanbag neck pack heated in the microwave is a good option, or a hot bath.
2. BODY ALIGNMENT. Watch your posture. If you head is tilted too far forward, this will strain the neck muscles. Be mindful to sit up straight and keep your ears in line over your shoulders.
3. STRETCH. Gently bend your head forward til you feel a stretch in the back of your neck. Then tilt your head to each side. Hold the stretch for 10 to 15 seconds.
4. GENTLE EXERCISE. Lay on the floor face up with no pillow. If you need support you can roll a towel to place under your neck. Relax for a few breaths. Gently nod your head 20 to 30 times. Rest a minute then repeat.
5. MASSAGE. Acupressure massage can increase blood flow and help release trigger points. Therapeutic Ultrasound used in conjunction with massage can work wonders to soften muscles and relieve pain. You can book your massage at Circle of the Sun Healing room HERE
Please like my FB page for more healthy tips! https://www.facebook.com/CircleOfTheSunHealingRoom/